Sweet potatoes are one of those dishes that screams for a sweet glaze. These are first grilled over charcoal for a hint of smokiness, then topped with a brown sugar and butter glaze and mini marshmallows. So good!
Grill the Sweet Potatoes
Sweet potatoes are one of those dishes that you wish you made more often. Many of us grew up with sweet potatoes out of a can and covered with marshmallows during the holidays. Grilled sweet potatoes is a grown up version of that dish. Grilling adds grill marks but also imparts a hint of smokiness from the charcoal that adds complexity to the final dish.
It’s important to have the grill hot but also have a low fire. The grill marks will come from contact with the hot grill bars. But if the fire is too high, the heat will quickly burn the rest of the sweet potato. If the flames are too high, wait a few minutes until they die down.
While the sweet potatoes are on the grill, prepare the gooey, buttery sweet glaze that will get drizzled (or lathered in my house) over the sweet potatoes. The sweet glaze just brings out the flavor of the sweet potatoes. You will want Grandma to try these.
Sweet potatoes would just seem naked with marshmallows melted over them. Mini marshmallows are best for this recipe because the melt quickly. Spread the mini marshmallows over the grilled sweet potatoes in an even layer and try to keep them from falling off and onto the tray.
The marshmallows require some quick high heat to properly char and melt. A broiler is perfect for that task. Of course, we don’t want to dry out the sweet potatoes, but they have been protected by a layer of heavy glaze.
Set the broiler for medium or even low broil. Marshmallows darken fast, no need to hit them with a flamethrower. It’s just a few seconds from nicely charred to burned beyond recognition. If they catch fire, peel them off and start all over again.
Some Similar Dishes
Here are some similar dishes to try:
Grilled Sweet Potatoes
- 4 large sweet potatoes skinned
- 3/4 cup butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 1 tbs Olive oil
- Preheat the grill for direct heat. Cut the sweet potatoes into 1/2" rounds. Brush with oil.
- Grill over direct heat until grill marks appear, about 6 minutes per side.
- Melt the butter and brown sugar in a small sauce pan until sugar dissolves. Stir in the vanilla extract and cinnamon.
- Remove the sweet potatoes from the grill and place them on an oven proof pan. Brush the sweet potatoes with the glaze, top with pecans and then marshmallows.
- Broil for a few minutes until the marshmallows soften and start to brown. Don't walk away because the marshmallows will burn quickly and catch fire. Ask me how I know that. Enjoy