Creamed Corn with a Texas Kick
Do you like creamed corn? Try this Texas-style creamed corn. Texas creamed corn is first grilled, then creamed, and then mixed with poblano peppers and lots of rich cheesy sauce. This Texas style creamed corn is easy and delicious. Give it a try!
What Makes it Texas Style Creamed Corn?
Texans love their peppers. Poblanos, Anaheims, jalapeños, Serranos, even habaneros, they love them all. In fact, Texans will put peppers on anything that stands still long enough. So why not creamed corn? Add a pepper to creamed corn and you have Texas-style cream corn. By the way, grilling the poblano pepper first makes it milder and a nice accompaniment to the corn. Remember to remove the seeds before chopping up the pepper. The seeds and the ribs that attach them is typically where all the heat is in a pepper. Of course, poblano peppers are among the mildest peppers out there, so the seeds would not make much of a difference in terms of the heat index of this dish. Even so, you don't want to be chewing seeds with your corn.
Why Grill the Corn?
There are a lot of ways to cook corn, but this dish needs that little bit of smokiness and slightly charred taste and texture that comes from grilling. Besides, having a few charred kernels of corn adds to the visual appeal of the dish.
Sour Cream in Creamed Corn?
Many creamed corn recipes call for all half and half or heavy cream. Mixing sour cream with heavy cream reduces the fat content and lightens the whole dish just a bit. In addition, the sour cream helps balance the lime juice better than just heavy cream.
If the Corn Has Been Grilled, Why Cook it in a Pan?
The corn has already been cooked. However, it needs to be mixed with the other ingredients and doing so is just going to make it cold and unappetizing. By mixing it in a fry pan over low heat, the flavors blend and all the ingredients will be the same temperature.
Favorite Side Dishes
Some of our other favorite side dishes are:
- Corn Ribs
- Creamed Corn Without Cream
- Barbecue Baked Beans
- Creamy Blue Cheese Salad
- Kosher Dill Pickles
Texas Style Creamed Corn - How to Make Texas Style Creamed Corn
- 6 ears corn husked
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 poblano pepper
- ¼ cup Queso Fresco or Cotija cheese crumbled
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup green onions chopped, white and light green parts
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ cup cilantro fresh, chopped
- 1 lime zest from one lime
- 1 lime juiced
- Setup the grill for direct heating, medium high heat. Brush the corn and pepper with olive oil place on the grill. Turn the corn and poblano every few minutes. Remove the poblano when the skin is charred on both sides and place in a paper bag and close. Continue to turn the corn until slightly charred all the way around. Remove the corn and cut off the kernels with a sharp knife.
- Rinse the poblano under running water and gently wash away the charred skin. Remove the stem and slit lengthwise. Remove the seeds and discard. Cut the poblano into ½" squares.
- Place the corn and poblano in a medium fry pan. Add the crumbled cheese, sour cream heavy cream, lime zest, lime juice, minced garlic and cilantro. Toss to combine. Cook over medium heat until the cheese melts and the sauce is gooey and rich. Stir the mixture well Top with extra cilantro and crumbled cheese and serve.