It’s easy to make really good barbecue baked beans from canned beans.
- Dutch oven
- 1 lb bacon (chopped)
- 1 yellow onion (chopped)
- 3 cans Great Northern beans (16 oz each), drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees F.
- Fry the chopped bacon in a dutch oven over medium heat until it has rendered some fat (about 4 mins). Add the onion and sauté until tender (about 5 mins). Add the beans, tomato paste, brown sugar, molasses, barbecue sauce, cayenne, salt and pepper. Stir well and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Cover the beans and bake until the sauce thickens (about two hours). Stir every 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand for five minutes to thicken.
- Stir well and serve.
Bake the beans in an oven rather than on a cooktop. The beans have a sugar in them that will burn if heated on a traditional range. The oven provides heat from all directions which helps minimized burning the beans.
PAID AFFILIATE LINKS
BBQ Tools & Supplies
Fireboard 2 Drive: https://www.fireboard.com/shop/firebo…
Fireboard 2: https://www.fireboard.com/shop/firebo…
Fireboard Pro: https://www.fireboard.com/shop/firebo…
Serving: 8ozCalories: 338kcalCarbohydrates: 26gProtein: 8gFat: 23gSaturated Fat: 8gPolyunsaturated Fat: 4gMonounsaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 37mgSodium: 1211mgPotassium: 430mgFiber: 1gSugar: 22gVitamin A: 215IUVitamin C: 3mgCalcium: 45mgIron: 1mg