Want to try a truly awesome chicken calzone? A fresh roasted chicken breast and cheesy artichoke heart and sun dried tomato filling bring this chicken calzone to life.
Chicken Calzone – A Different Kind of Pizza
I have a wood-burning oven in my backyard and I make a LOT of pizza. A calzone is actually a nice change. A lot of people think of a calzone as a pizza folded in half. While that may be true, it certainly tastes different that a folded up pizza. That may be because the fillings in a calzone tend to have more moisture in them and the crust is cooking from both the top and the bottom. Whatever the reason, this is one awesome chicken calzone. Give it a try.
Start With a Fresh Chicken
There is nothing quite like fresh rotisserie chicken. Lightly season a medium sized chicken with salt, pepper and some paprika and throw it on a rotisserie.
In about an hour and 15 minutes, you will have some tasty and juicy chicken just waiting to go into a calzone.
Mix the Filling
Once the chicken is diced, mix the rest of the filling ingredients in a medium bowl. The cream cheese will remain in clumps and that is OK, it will melt when the calzone is baked.
Fill and Fold the Calzone
Add the chicken, then some of the filling mixture. Go ahead, load it up. The dough will stretch. Fold over the dough and press it down firmly to seal.
Trim the edge with a pastry cutter. Make sure that at least 1/2″ of dough is firmly sealed. Cut a few holes in the top to let steam escape, and you are ready to bake. If you don’t cut a few vent holes, the calzone will blow apart in the oven and you will have more of a mess to cleanup than you bargained for. Cut the holes.
Place the calzone on a pizza stone if using a conventional oven, or place it directly on the floor of a wood-fired oven if you have one. Get ready to party.
Some Similar Dishes
Here are some similar dishes to try:
- Chicken Calzone
- Pepperoni Pizza
- Mushroom and Goat Cheese Pizza
- Pan Pizza
- Pizza Dough for a Conventional Oven
- Pizza Dough for a Wood-Fired Oven
Chicken Calzone With Spinach, Sun Dried Tomatoes and Artichoke Hearts in a Wood-Fired Oven
- 1 cup chicken breast diced freshly roasted, seasoned with salt, pepper and smoked paprika
- 1 cup spinach fresh, chopped
- 1/3 cup artichoke hearts drained and chopped
- 1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes
- 1 cup Mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup Asiago cheese
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1 tbs Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 pizza dough see video
- Mix all of the ingredients, except for the pizza dough and chicken, in a bowl.
- Add chopped chicken to one side of the pizza dough. Top with the spinach mixture and fold the dough over the chicken and spinach.
- Press down on the edges to seal and follow with the tines of fork to ensure that it is sealed. Cut and remove any extra dough around the edges. Cut three or four vents in the top crust.
- Bake the calzone in a 450° F oven, preferably on a pizza stone, for about ten minutes or until golden brown. Top with freshly grated Parmesan and serve.