This awesome bourbon whiskey barbecue sauce is the best reason I know of for not DRINKING bourbon.
Austin, Texas has more than its fair share of distilleries. So I just HAD to use a Texas-based bourbon for my bourbon whiskey barbecue sauce. I chose the distillery that made the very first legal Texas bourbon, Garrison Brothers.
Recipes Using This Bourbon Barbecue Sauce
Bourbon Whiskey Barbecue Sauce
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup yellow onion finely minced
- 3/4 cup bourbon or whiskey
- 1/2 cup brown sugar packed
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp black pepper freshly ground
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 cups ketchup
- Cook the onion and olive oil in a large, nonreactive sauce pan over medium heat until softened. Turn OFF the heat and add the bourbon (it's highly flammable). Add all remaining ingredients. Turn the heat back ON. Stir well and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low simmer and cook, uncovered, for 30 minutes, stirring often. Strain sauce and serve.