This is the BEST BBQ Sauce I Have Ever Made
This awesome bourbon whiskey barbecue sauce is the best reason I know of for not DRINKING bourbon.
Austin, Texas has more than its fair share of distilleries. So I just HAD to use a Texas-based bourbon for my bourbon whiskey barbecue sauce. I chose the distillery that made the very first legal Texas bourbon, Garrison Brothers.
If you have never made your own BBQ sauce, you are in for a treat. It's very easy to make and tastes so much better than anything store-bought. The best part is that you can meddle with the ingredients to come up with your favorite sauce.
I like a Kansas city style sauce, a little sweet but packed with flavor. This barbecue sauce hits the mark. Could you use less expensive bourbon? Sure. But, bourbons are all a little bit different. Go down this road and you may be buying a lot of different bourbons. Such a problem.
Recipes Using This Bourbon Barbecue Sauce
- Smoked Dino Bones
- Smoked Beef Short Ribs
- St. Louis Spareribs
- Smoked Pulled Pork
- Smoked Hot Wings
- Smoked Pork Belly Burnt Ends
- Smoked Brisket and Burnt Ends
- Ultimate BBQ Baked Beans
- Homemade Chili Powder
Bourbon Whiskey Barbecue Sauce
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup yellow onion finely minced
- ¾ cup bourbon or whiskey
- ½ cup brown sugar packed
- ¼ cup cider vinegar
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup molasses
- ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper freshly ground
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups ketchup
- Cook the onion and olive oil in a large, nonreactive sauce pan over medium heat until softened. Turn OFF the heat and add the bourbon (it's highly flammable). Add all remaining ingredients. Turn the heat back ON. Stir well and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low simmer and cook, uncovered, for 30 minutes, stirring often. Strain sauce and serve.